Chelmsford Historical Society
Outline of Interview Mar 3, 1975 Eliza J. and Leslie Hannaford
12-came to Lowell in 1900
26-arrived May 1, 1900
29-mother came in February to get a job for Dad
33-father had been a moulder in a Sackville, New Brunswick foundry
37-got a job at the Peevy Foundry, Lowell
42-he was a hollow ware moulder
52-father and brother left New Brunswick first
57-the rest of the family left by train; mother and nine children
66-Eliza was the youngest child, four years old
74-series of problems when father first moved to Lowell he had been sending money to the family though it never reached them
97-constables' advice
110-broke up house in New Brunswick, sold at a loss
120-mother had been a jockey, horse trainer
125-rode horses beside trains to break them in
150-Eliza was sick all the way from Sackville to Lowell
162-arrival at Lowell Depot
192-first home was on Peevy Street, near the Foundry
203-foundry sold out soon after arrival
234-father had to find another job moved to Walker Street had difficulty paying rent very crowded
242-moved to Saratoga Street
246-attracted to Chelmsford by the Episcopal Chusch
253-moved to Third Street, off Warren Avenue
266-married in 1915
267-worked at Town Farm, met husband there, building at the corner of Billerica St., and Golden Cove Road
274-husband's full name, Louis Leroy Hannaford
280-served in World War II
293- RETURN TO DISCUSSION OF EARLIER LIFE family worked in mills
298-worked in Brookside, quit High School at age 13 had been attending Highland School
337-Brookside located in West Chelmsford, where the food licker is today
339-at the time Eliza was living on Boynton Street in Lowell
343-walked to train every morning at seven t returned every evening at six
350-she worked so far away because there was no closer work that appealed
364-sister was a weaver at the Carpet Factory
383-married at age 25
384-met husband at Town Farm
388-Eliza worked there, at the time there were twenty three inmates
398-Mr. & Mrs. Waldo Hannaford, Roy's parents, operated the Farm for thirteen years (it was actually only nine years)
421-residents at the farm
424-mostly elderly
429-some worked on the farm
433-farm produce was sold
434-Hannafords were paid four hundred a year by the Town
447-after marriage, Roy and Eliza moved into Town Farm but Chelmsford Selectman Carl Perham insisted they move immediately
452-he was a "funny selectman"
456-conditions at the Town Farm
462-original Farm on Mill Road, burned
474-persons at Town Farm
500-practical jokes-(sections deleted in poor taste)
525-a nurse in residence at the Farm for a time
535-more practical jokes
566-large numbers at the Farm
568-Tramp House provided overnight shelter
571-Town paid for care of tramps
572-food furnished by farm itself
578-"a well kept place"
579-didn't seem to be any complaints
585-Mr. Long succeeded as keeper of the farm
601-Sinai Simard was the last superintendent
634-Roy Hannaford installed first lights at the Farm
645-four hundred dollard a year was considered good wages
658-recreation at the Town Farm mostly just the radio, people didn't leave the farm they were supposed to stay on the grounds
672-death at the Farm; some buried in "Strangers Row" at Pine Ridge Cemetery, in the back section
694-husband an electrician and builder
701-house building market during the Depression
707-built house on East Chelmsford Road,six rooms
719-also built house next to 47 Golden Cove Road
727-had bank mortgage
737-rented house on East Chelmsford road but tenants didn't pay rent so Hannafords lost both houses
795-view of death
821-likes Chelmsford
836-home cures, brandy and poultices
880-Woodhead Farm
917-wakes and funerals
923-Chelmsford politics
929-didn't care to vote except on school issues
936-"Woman's Place"
945-working mothers are the cause of problems among youth
948-sex education
977-unsafe world, never used to lock doors

04-Fourth of July, dragged milk cans over cobblestones
11-South Common
19-death, morning and evening prayers
31-Wilson Waters
36-not many persons attended church
38-Waters visited all his parishoners every year
43-bad weather always hampered church attendance
47-Roy Hannaford put first electric lights in All Saints' Church
63-Lowell theatres
65-Opera House
67-St John's Episcopal Church
74-last electric car into Chelmsford every night only went as far as Golden Cove turnout
79-halfway house between Lowell and Chelmsford is presently Mrs. Nelson's Candy House
119-Silesia Mills, North Chelmsford,worked there before marriage
131 attempt to leave home,controversy over pay checks, settlement with mother
170-way of life in the Mills
226-present home at 47 Golden Cove Road was a Toll House for the Turnpike during the 1700's this was the main road to Boston

End of interview
Copyright 1997-2017. All rights reserved.
This website is maintained by Chelmsford Historical Society members. To comment, or report broken links, e-mail webmaster